“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me”.

Jesus - John 14:21a

“Following hard after Jesus is the heart’s natural response

when it has been captured and has fallen deeply in love with Him”.

-from “Captivating”


Monday, August 13, 2007

Strangest marriage proposal yet

Today I went to the Forex to exchange dollars for cedis. I go there regularly enough that they at least know me by sight. But being the ditz I occasionally am, I left the money in the car and had to run back downstairs. When I came back up, I was laughing and so were the two guys behind the counter. All was fine and good until the older gentleman comes in, looks at me and tells me that he wants to marry "one with white skin". He repeats this a few times and points to my arm. I, of course, being the smart aleck that I am, ask him why he wants "obroni" (white) and not "obibini" (black). He tells me (and I am still laughing about it) that he wants white "b/c when the lights go out I can still see you". I laugh out loud and say "what? Do you think we glow in the dark?" and he says yes. Now I am sure he is pulling my leg with that part but the rest of it I am not so sure. Anyway, I found it quite humorous and by far the most interesting and funny marriage proposal to date. I would like to say that it strokes my ego to get a marriage proposal but it really doesn't. For a couple of reasons. One it happens a lot and to almost every white woman here. And two, when I am with girls that are younger (like teenagers), I am labeled as their mother and they get the marriage proposals. Ah well. Nothing like youth and moxy to knock you down a peg or two:)

No comments: