“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me”.

Jesus - John 14:21a

“Following hard after Jesus is the heart’s natural response

when it has been captured and has fallen deeply in love with Him”.

-from “Captivating”


Wednesday, August 27, 2008

First impressions of Brazil

Some of you know that I am in Brazil right now. My parents were coming here for a wedding and invited me to go along when I returned from Ghana. What a gift. Sao Paulo where we flew into is a huge sprawling city. It reminded me of Accra and America at the same time. The roads and traffic signals, etc. are very similar to the states. The actual driving and traffic are like Accra! The motorcyclists here do the same thing as they do in Accra which is drive between the lines of cars on any road they care to. It is crazy!! The poor areas here are immense with shacks packed close together all over the hillsides. They reminded me of the slum areas in Cape Town, South Africa. The dichotomy between the rich and the poor is very evident. I can´t think of any poor areas I have seen in the states that can touch what I have seen in Ghana, South Africa and now Brazil.

We drove 2 hours north to Campinas where we are staying and where the wedding will be performed. I haven´t seen a ton of the city yet but it is very modern and like cities in the states. Last night the groom and bride to be took us to a real Brazilian restaurant. It was amazing. Those of you who have heard of the restaurant "Carnivores" will understand what I experienced a little bit. As soon as we were seated we were inundated with servers bringing us all types of little appetizer things and then skewers of meat. They simply stand by your plate and offer you the selection and cut off how much you want right there. Unlike Carnivores we weren't offered strange meats like camel, but they came in rapid fire with skewer after skewer. It became quite comical after awhile. And of course everything was amazingly good. Then after all this meat, there is a huge salad bar, followed by a dessert tray where again you can select a sample of several things. I am resigned to the fact that I will weigh 100 more pounds than I do now by the time I leave this country. The bride told me at the restaurant that "this was nothing. We will have 26 meats served at the wedding reception". TWENTY-SIX. Did I even know there were 26 ways to cut beef? Good grief. She said to be prepared to eat for about 4 hours. I so did not bring the right dress for this. Really burka would be so much better than the cute little dress I will be wearing. I may explode at that wedding. But really I am excited to be here and to be able to go to the wedding. It will be a real Brazilian one with all the ethnic traditions, etc. I can't wait.

Side note: I am typing this on a Brazilian keyboard which is rather different than a US one so if there are weird or gross typing errors try to ignore them.

The bride and groom met over the internet. No not through E-Harmony or one of those but the internet nonetheless. It really is rather romantic:) Regina was searching for evangelistic ministries and information in Canada but something popped up from the US and was interesting to her. She corresponded with Lee about this ministry he has in the states about his work and materials, etc. Through their theological discussions and sharing they discovered that they had a lot in common and as these things go, the relationship grew from there. For about a year and a half, they communicated by email and phone - never seeing each other in person until Lee moved here about 2 months ago to prepare for the wedding. Of course they exchanged pictures and all but still...they just met face to face a short while ago. Most of you are probably thinking how silly and dangerous and whatever that is but I think it is awesome. Romance isn't dead!! :) They are adorable together and those that know them well here - especially her family - are very approving. It is neat to hear Lee talk about my father and his important role in his life. My dad teaches at Bible Study Fellowship and Lee was a participant in that study for 10 years. Since Lee's parents are gone, he really has no family left. In a very real sense my parents are his parents at this wedding and I have been embraced as a sister. It is so cool and we are all very honored to be here. My parents will even have a role in the wedding!! Lee and Regina are amazingly on fire for the Lord and are involved with a church plant here. They live in the poorer areas near where they serve and their hearts for the lost cannot be missed. I am inspired to be with them and have enjoyed hearing their stories and how they freely share their love for the Lord. What a gift to be here - much more than I ever expected!

So today we will be going with Lee and Regina and another friend of theirs from the states to see the city of Campinas and I am sure eat some more. I am glad they suggested walking in the park b/c that will be necessary with all this eating. I may have to take up running - which by the way I think might actually be a sin:)

I'll write more later and of course there will be pictures at some point. I want to say Obrigada - thank you - for reading and sticking with me through all this transition. Talk to you soon.

No comments: