“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me”.

Jesus - John 14:21a

“Following hard after Jesus is the heart’s natural response

when it has been captured and has fallen deeply in love with Him”.

-from “Captivating”


Thursday, June 7, 2007

Taxi ride and the "Obroni"

Yesterday Michelle and I took a taxi to the Wal-mart type store called Game. My first taxi ride. I imagine most of you know that bartering for prices over taxis and most other things is very common, even expected here. Not in stores like Game or the grocery store but in the market or at a fruit stand, etc. So the ride there was negotiated from 20,000 cedis down to 15,000 cedis. Ok just a difference of 50 cents but it's the principle. But trying to come back from the store, the guys at the taxi stand started at 40,000 cedis. Well that was ridiculous of course but Michelle just threatened to walk away and actually we started walking to the street when they agreed on 20,000 cedis. It is quite entertaining to watch Michelle "work". She has been in West Africa for a good portion of her life and seems fearless to me. The first question she asked these taxi drivers was "what do you think I am, an obroni?" Obroni is the Twi (chwee) word for "white woman" or sometimes more loosely used for "foreigner or stranger". So basically she was challenging them that they had jacked up the price b/c we were white - which frankly is not uncommon. Most "white" people here are bankers or business owners or oil company people and will often pay whatever price without worry. But we missionaries don't do that:) Hence the bartering. I am sure I will get used to it and jump right in. And I certainly couldn't mention a taxi ride without commenting on the driving. Let's just say that at the same area I mentioned recently where the roads converge together that I was nose to nose so to speak with a city bus (van really) that was trying to merge. Literally could have reached out and touched it - I am guessing we had 6 inches between doors. No joke. And another car on the other side. But I must be getting used to things b/c I didn't flinch. I knew the taxi driver was used to this and it would all sort out eventually when we got down to the single lane. And it did. What is a little frightening is that on edges of the main roads are these deep concrete ditches so you have to be very careful backing up and parking etc. I can see myself easily dropping a wheel into one of these gutters. But as you are driving in this particular area, as the lanes converge (and I use "lanes" loosely as there are no stripes on the road- period) the car trying to come into your lane is very gently (ha ha) pushing you to the side - right next to the gutter. So you have to be tough and not get pushed too far. Balance between not hitting the car and not falling into the gutter. It pays in these cases to have a Land Rover or something big like that:) I do promise that one of these days I will stop talking about the driving but not very soon. I have had several people tell me that the driving here is tame compared to many other places in Africa. I guess this is one thing that is definitely relative!

Today we went to see a house that I might be able to rent and out front, eating the palm trees, was a group of goats. Maybe 10 or so. And down in the middle of the road was a mama goat and her just born baby (umbilical cord still attached). The tiniest, cutest little thing - and me without my camera!!! Ugh. Oh well. Hopefully I will see it again - though if I rent this place I would prefer they not eat the trees!