“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me”.

Jesus - John 14:21a

“Following hard after Jesus is the heart’s natural response

when it has been captured and has fallen deeply in love with Him”.

-from “Captivating”


Monday, June 4, 2007

Observations from a day of errands

Today Michelle and I left early to go meet some people for breakfast at one of the very nice hotels in Accra. Before I talk about that I must, once again, comment on the traffic and driving. You obviously realize that I am still amazed (and occasionally aghast) at the driving here. We were going during rush hour which we try to avoid b/c without traffic signals, etc. it gets pretty bad. Anyway, today there were "hawkers" all over this major congested area. A hawker is someone who walks between cars at a traffic jam or at a stoplight to sell whatever they are selling - fruit, sunglasses, plantain chips, water, etc., etc. So picture this...traffic is merging from two different directions into one road and then there is a "Y" just a few yards (I mean meters) from where everyone is merging. So people are merging and then trying to get across 2 to 3 to 4 lanes of traffic - depends on where you are in the mess- and in the middle of all this are dozens of hawkers. On the road, between the cars, in front of the cars and anywhere else they can fit. Absolutely insane. It really gets to a point where you have to laugh or else you would just scream:) So we get through there and then a ways down we are behind someone turning left - and I love this- the first guy gets a break to turn left and the other 2 cars also waiting to turn left go with him. So basically all three turn left at the same time into the same street. I am dying laughing at this point b/c it is just so crazy. But I guess if you don't get in there when there is a break you could sit awhile. Ok I think I am done with the traffic - at least for now.

We are met Jack and Nell Chinchen and their son Palmer Chinchen. Jack and Nell started African Bible College in Liberia way back when I was a child there (before me actually). They now have these colleges in Uganda and Malawi and are in the process of going back to Liberia to rebuild the one there that was destroyed during the civil war. They are amazing as they have been living in Africa for probably 50 years or so. I grew up in Liberia with their daughter Marian. She lived up country and I lived by the beach and during summers we would go visit each other. Flying by prop airplane (with a pilot who occasionally read a magazine while flying...but I digress). It was great. She also lives in Malawi now with her husband and 7 children and I hope to get to see her one day. The hotel we met them at is very nice. It has this amazing pool with palm trees and paths around it- looks like a resort you would see in Hawaii - minus the beach. You can go there and swim for a price. Actually you can pay to go to several nice hotels in the city and use their pool for the day - costs about $9 or so. I hope to get to do that some day as a treat. Anyway, it was really nice to see the Chinchens. I probably hadn't seen any of them for I would guess 28 years. Palmer is the pastor of a large church in Phoenix. I am glad he turned out well b/c he was really a pain to Marian and I when we were at her house.

After this Michelle and I go to a local market. You can see a picture of the little grocery store to your right. I couldn't take a bunch of pictures - it is proper to ask permission most of the time- but I will try to describe it. Down a fairly narrow two lane street are little shops on both sides. In front of the shops, like the one in the picture, are little stands with fruits and vegetables. There are chickens running around loose and people going in every direction. And of course cars also going in every direction. In this store you can buy all sorts of canned goods, dry milk powder, TP, tea bags, etc. etc. Actually you can go most things here if you want to pay for it. For example, I could get Cocoa Puffs for about $7-8 per box. Not likely to happen but it is available. On the other hand at the little stand in front of the store we got a pineapple, 5 cucumbers, 5 papaws (a fruit) and a head of cabbage for 27,000 cedis - which equals about $3. Amazing!

We also went to the post office to see if I had any packages or letters. Much to my delight I had one letter. Yippeeee. You don't get mail delivered or pick up at your house. We have to drive down into the business section of town and get it there. I was going to take a picture of it but there were many police around and Michelle thought I shouldn't so I took her advice:) But basically it is a little brick building and you go in and get your stuff from the guy. This is one thing that is significantly different from the states. Imagine having to drive from Gurnee to Waukegan to get your mail (for those who live in IL) and through major traffic. Not easy to do. Hence we only check the mail every couple of weeks.

Michelle got her hair cut today and the girl did a real nice job. I am happy that there is someone I can go to for a trim.

One of the interesting things about restaurants, hair salons, etc. is the difference in tipping. The first time we ate out I asked Michelle about how much to tip. I am thinking of course 10-15% like in the US. She said "oh no. You only tip about 5000cedis (50cents) or 10,000cedis ($1) at the very most". Can you imagine? And most of the time you don't tip at all! I am glad I asked. If I had been by myself and tipped 10% the server would have passed out!!!

Well the rest of the day was spent working on financial stuff and training with Michelle. I won't bore you with those details. Talk to you soon:)