“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me”.

Jesus - John 14:21a

“Following hard after Jesus is the heart’s natural response

when it has been captured and has fallen deeply in love with Him”.

-from “Captivating”


Monday, June 25, 2007

Weekend Activities

This weekend was the best one I have had yet. Saturday Michelle and I went to the local "market" where they sell all sorts of souvenirs and decorative things for good prices. I went there briefly with Lee and a visitor last week but didn't buy anything. Many of you would probably find this type of place a bit overwhelming, but I have to say that it is one of the few places so far that I have felt extremely comfortable. I find that odd but oh well. The market is a line of small wooden stores. Each time you go near a store to look the owner comes running up encouraging you to look b/c as they say "looking is for free". They tend to be a little pushy at first but after I stated I was just looking AND that I wasn't a tourist, they backed off a little bit. The first time I went I met Kofi and Wolfgang who recognized me when I returned with Michelle. I didn't buy anything from them this time but I will in the future. If they are honest and give good prices, I intend to be a loyal customer. What I came for with Michelle was a painting that I had seen the first time. The first purchase for my home. We walked around quite a bit to make sure that this was the painting I wanted and then went back to the store. And let the games begin. With a bit of input from Michelle, I bartered with the owner over the painting. I actually enjoyed it. He started at 380,000cedis which was of course ridiculous, so I low balled him at 140,000cedis. So back and forth it went until we landed somewhere in the middle. Michelle said I did well. I think I paid about 20,000cedis more than she would have but for my first time I was quite proud. Of course at one point he got stubborn so I threatened to walk and then he became quite reasonable again:) It really is a game and I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it.

Then we moved down the road to look at furniture possibilities. Most of you would never consider buying your living room furniture off the side of a major, busy street but I am. We stopped at a section where I saw something I liked and boy was I surprised when the builder came running up the hill pulling on his pants (over his boxers) and trying to button his shirt at the same time. I looked at Michelle thinking he had just woken up from a nap, but actually he was down the hill working and had stripped b/c of the heat. Anyway, we looked through the book of his work that he provided and found something I liked. But since this is a much bigger purchase and he knows Lee, I will wait until Lee can come with to influence the bartering.

Have I mentioned that Lee knows just about everyone it seems like. Whenever we all drive down the road he is honking and waving at people. And at the little fruit stands and shops he is well known. His love for Africa and African people is like few I have ever seen. And they love him too. I hope to emulate this as I get to know people in the area.

Sunday afternoon I went with Lee and Michelle and their boys to watch Lee and TJ (their oldest) play football (that's soccer to you). It is their usual Sunday afternoon gig. Lots of players, even one that was semi-pro in Germany. These guys are good...and tough! I love watching sports and really enjoyed watching the games. A great part of it was just being outdoors and among so many Ghanaians and expatriates.

I am thankful for a productive and pleasant weekend. Did I mention that I plan to start learning Twi? That is the commonly spoken language here. Although pretty much everyone speaks some degree of English, if you listen to the nationals talk to each other they are speaking Twi most of the time. I have met another missionary girl who has been using a tutor and I hope to be able to work with her also. It will be challenging I am sure but I think it will be a good thing to do for ministry and understanding the culture better.

No comments: