“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me”.

Jesus - John 14:21a

“Following hard after Jesus is the heart’s natural response

when it has been captured and has fallen deeply in love with Him”.

-from “Captivating”


Wednesday, January 16, 2008

from my daily calendar

A wonderful friend sent me a desk calendar with thoughts from Billy Graham for each day. I was a bit behind with being gone for a couple of weeks and all but now I am caught up. I think I may share from it from time to time as what is written is very encouraging and turns my thoughts toward the Lord where they should be. I hope it encourages you as well.

From today (1/16): People deeply in love find absolute bliss simply being in each other's presence. In the same way, simply being in the presence of God brings us great joy. It happens as we listen to Him speak in his Word; it happens as we pray. But it also happens as we simply enjoy His presence- meditating on His goodness, delighting in the beauty of His creation, rejoicing in the life of a new baby or the surprise of an unexpected blessing...Someday we will be in His presence forever; the Bible says, "God Himself will be with them" (Rev. 21:3)...In the meantime, delight in His presence right now, for He is with you every hour of the day.

From 1/2: When hard times come we easily get discouraged. But behind the clouds God is still present, and can even use them to water our souls with unexpected blessings. Longfellow once wrote: "Be still, sad heart, and cease repining; behind the clouds is the sun still shining." As God's people wandered in the wilderness, He declared, "Behold, I come to you in the thick cloud" (Ex. 19:9). Each of us experiences clouds in life- sometimes slight, but sometimes dark and frightening. Whatever clouds you face today, ask Jesus, the light of the world, to help you look behind the cloud to see his glory and His plans for you.

And finally, from 1/4: When David Livingstone returned to his native Scotland after sixteen difficult years as a missionary and explorer in Africa, his body was emaciated by...fevers that had coursed through his veins during the years...His left arm hung useless by his side, the result of being mangled by a lion. Speaking to the students at Glasgow University, he said, "Shall I tell you what sustained me during the hardship and loneliness of my exile? It was Christ's promise, 'Lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age'" (Mt. 28:20)....No matter what trials we face, Christ never leaves us...Keep that promise before you today- and always.

You can see there is a theme that focuses on the presence of Christ in our lives and in every day. I know I needed the reminders, perhaps you did also. Thank you Lord for being with me in every part of every day.

No comments: