“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me”.

Jesus - John 14:21a

“Following hard after Jesus is the heart’s natural response

when it has been captured and has fallen deeply in love with Him”.

-from “Captivating”


Thursday, January 24, 2008

More thoughts from my devotional calendar

These two devotional days really struck me recently. I think about how often I look to the things of earth to make me happy or bring me peace and joy but they don't. I know I need frequent reminders to help me get my focus off the stuff of earth and onto the glory of God and His kingdom.

From January 10: Jesus told His disciples: "Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you" (Matt. 6:33). The "things" he spoke of were the basic needs of life: food, drink, clothes, shelter. He told us not to make these things the chief goal of our lives, but to "seek...the kingdom." There, if we will take it, is the secret of happiness: "Seek first the kingdom of God..." How do we do this? By submitting ourselves without reserve to Jesus Christ as King of our lives every day. This is the path of true happiness.

From January 15: How often have you found what you were looking for in life, only to realize it didn't bring you the satisfaction you though it would? It is life's ultimate frustration - thinking we will find fulfillment in the things of this world. But they can never bring lasting happiness. As one bumper sticker I saw expressed it, "All I want is a little more than I have now."... Try putting Christ first and watch how your life is turned around. You will discover that He alone is the source of the love, peace, and joy you have been searching for.

No comments: