“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me”.

Jesus - John 14:21a

“Following hard after Jesus is the heart’s natural response

when it has been captured and has fallen deeply in love with Him”.

-from “Captivating”


Thursday, January 31, 2008

More on the same theme

Sometimes in my life I "hear" the same theme or words from the Lord in different ways over time. Last night and again this morning the truth that the Lord is my anchor is running through my mind. I don't know if it is directly for this time in life or for the future or both but when I see it happening I try to focus on it and listen. My last post talked about the Lord never failing or forsaking me. Today the words of a song by Selah keep swirling in my head and it makes me consider who or what I am holding on to. Perhaps this theme is being impressed on me b/c of the transient nature of people in my community here. In May my friend, Erin, will be returning to the UK to continue her work with Alpha there. She has been the "nurse" who has taken care of Margaret and me while we were sick - even to spending the night so we had someone to call to if we needed something. That's quite a friend. In June my dear roommate, Margaret, will complete her two years here and return back to the states. This is the nature of missionary life. People come and go all the time. Even as a missionary kid I knew this. One of the good by-products is that you learn to develop friendships quickly and deeply. You don't waste time, generally, with superficialities b/c you know that your time together is probably limited. The hard part is that you develop close friends and then they leave. The hardest part is to stay open to friendships and the inevitable parting b/c the temptation is to close off so as not to get hurt when someone leaves. Maybe these thoughts are in my mind to prepare me for the upcoming farewells. Maybe they are here for challenges I am facing now. I don't know for sure and despite what you read here I am doing ok. I am just sharing what the Lord seems to be impressing on me. The words from the song are below and they remind me of who to hold on to no matter what phase of life I am in.

"You gotta hold to His hand
God's unchanging hand
You gotta hold to His hand
God's unchanging hand
You gotta build your hopes on things eternal
My God will never let you down."

The line "God's unchanging hand" is the one that strikes me most. People will change. Feelings will change. People come and go. But God never changes. And He "will never let (me) down."

Lamentations 3:21-23: "This I recall to my mind, -Therefore I have hope. The Lord's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; Great is Thy faithfulness."

Praise the Lord for His steadfast and unchanging love. This gives me hope no matter what is going on. God is always here and He is faithful. Hold on to that unchanging hand!

No comments: