“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me”.

Jesus - John 14:21a

“Following hard after Jesus is the heart’s natural response

when it has been captured and has fallen deeply in love with Him”.

-from “Captivating”


Tuesday, January 15, 2008

lesson from South Africa

The primary purpose for my recent trip to South Africa was for a regional spiritual life conference (SLC). The purpose for the SLC is to have time away from work and ministry to receive teaching, de-stress, and focus on where we are with the Lord. The teacher for our SLC was Ron Cline who is a pastor and counselor and former HCJB president. The focus of his teaching sessions was "things they don't prepare you for before going to the field". They were really good sessions. I will share with you the two that struck me the most. The first session was about the idea of playing second fiddle. Of not being the "star" in the ministry, being looked past to someone else and feeling like your part is insignificant. Wow what a way to start a spiritual life conference, huh? But you know it was a great place to start b/c I think no matter where we are in life or ministry we all struggle with this at some point. I know I do. The Biblical character that we looked at was John the Baptist and how his life and his ministry meant nothing except to pave the way and point to Jesus. He only came as a witness for Christ. This is what every Christian is called to do no matter where we live or serve the Lord. We are to focus everything on Christ and not call attention to ourselves at all. But this is hard b/c we crave attention as human beings and especially if someone else is getting it and we aren't. I find myself often having conversations with God about where my significance comes from (Him alone) and asking for Him to help me decrease so that He increases. It is almost a daily struggle and I am glad that Ron addressed it right off. As a follower of Christ, I play second fiddle. We are all second fiddles to Him. Jeremiah 9:23-24 "thus says the Lord, 'Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord who exercises lovingkindness, justice, and righteousness on earth; for I delight in these things', declares the Lord."

The second session that really impacted me was on ambiguity. Not just ambiguity in going to the mission field but ambiguity in the Christian life in general. The Bible passage we looked at in this session was Luke 9:57-62. I won't write it out but will focus on the key verses. In verse 58 we see that we as followers of Christ are not promised special things - we may not even have a place to lay our head. In verse 60 Jesus tells us to go and proclaim the kingdom of God but he doesn't specifically tell us how. And from verse 62 we see that God doesn't share his agenda or what his plan is but we are to follow step by step. Ron really emphasized the ambiguity of what God calls us to and how things so often don't make sense from our perspective. But we are to focus on the fact that God is almighty and sovereign and he knows what he is about. In the light of this not knowing and that our paths with the Lord often lead us through suffering, Ron asked us all to go and think about a very key question...."Why do I follow Christ"? A simple but tough question that I don't ask myself very often. It was good to sit and think about it especially when living in a new culture and dealing with all that is involved with that. I will just write what I wrote in my journal that day -rough cut and all
.


I John 4:9-10 - "By this the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins." He loved me, He loves me - I am overwhelmed by how much He loves me. Look at what He gave up to be born a mere man, to live on this fallen earth, to see the world He created be so ruined, to follow through on an awful death - simply to provide a way for me to be with Him. Matthew 26:53 - "Or do you think that I cannot appeal to My Father and He will at once put at My disposal more than twelve legions of angels?" Jesus could have called for help (regarding the cross) but didn't.. He went all the way b/c of His love for me. When I get real glimpses of His love and it penetrates my heart - that while I was still a sinner and knowing that I will still fail Him - He came to love me and save me....How could I not follow Him?

The SLC was very good and meaningful. It was helpful to acknowledge these things, to look at them head on and to see where I am in dealing with them. I thank God for the opportunity to go to South Africa. Not just for the beauty and the rest, etc. but for these teachings and for time to reflect on who God is and why I follow Him. His unconditional, perfect love compels me to follow him no matter how faltering and feeble my attempts may be. "Praise the Lord! Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; for His lovingkindness is everlasting." (Ps. 105:1)

No comments: