“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me”.

Jesus - John 14:21a

“Following hard after Jesus is the heart’s natural response

when it has been captured and has fallen deeply in love with Him”.

-from “Captivating”


Friday, February 15, 2008

My Lucky jeans

I am wearing my Lucky jeans today. (Lucky being the brand name). My favorite jeans and a simple white t-shirt. Why am I telling you this? B/c I just realized today that most of the time when I wear this outfit it is when I want to feel home. It is so very American and I feel very American in it - especially the comfortable, "worn-in perfectly" jeans. I walk differently in them and my attitude is different -quite relaxed. Almost like a tourist. The cultural stress/shock has been pretty pronounced the last week or so. Some of it is just the cycle of it coming around again (the 9 month cycle) and some is due to me being sick recently and then taking care of Eva and Margaret while they were sick. Maybe I am just tired. But nonetheless cultural stress is making its presence known. Fortunately I am past the "I can't stand this place, get me out of here" phase and now am just feeling a little blue and homesick. So I put on my Lucky jeans and you'd be surprised how much it helps. Feels like home. A friend today told me that when his wife or his kids were homesick and feeling the culture stress that he made them a special food they liked that normally they didn't buy. It helped some. It was in talking to him that I realized that was why I was wearing my jeans today. Really it is way too hot for jeans but somehow that didn't bother me. I wasn't bothered waiting in the doctor's office with Eva for her follow-up visit. I wasn't bothered in immigration where the lady wasn't helpful at all and now we have to go back a third time for the papers we need. I wasn't bothered when we got home and the electricity was off at home and the office so I couldn't get anything done. I just wasn't bothered. These are some pretty powerful jeans aren't they? :) Just a little break from trying to fit in and not look quite so American. Tomorrow I'll be back to reality but today I am wearing my Lucky jeans. Feels like home.

No comments: