“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me”.

Jesus - John 14:21a

“Following hard after Jesus is the heart’s natural response

when it has been captured and has fallen deeply in love with Him”.

-from “Captivating”


Monday, February 18, 2008

Patience is a virtue

Remember a couple entries back where I mentioned how relaxed I was at immigration when I was wearing my favorite jeans. Well I should have worn them again today. Wow was my patience tested by a lady at immigration. Michelle and I went back for the third time to immigration this morning with what we thought were all the appropriate papers that were needed. Wrong! The same lady that wasn't nice to us last time was there again and continued her testing of our patience and Christian love:) This time we didn't have the right papers to back up Lee's signature so after a bit of protesting - nicely - and asking what all we needed we drove to Dzorwulu where SIM Ghana has its headquarters. Auntie Ruby - the director- was able to give us her signature and the proper paperwork to back it up. See, Lee doesn't have all his paperwork b/c it is ...at immigration ..waiting to be renewed. Michelle and I were hoping that since his papers were already there that the two things could be connected...but no. So Auntie Ruby to the rescue - or so we thought. The person who typed the letters changed one little thing that has worked for them in the past but neither Michelle nor I caught it. We drive back to immigration and the lady points out that very change and says it has to be changed back to what it was for her to accept the papers. It was the difference between the words "Director of Immigration" and "Chief of Immigration". We tried to point out the vast similarity between the two words but to no avail. Back to SIM we go. I have to break in here to tell you the very funny thing that God sent us to help us keep our sense of humor. Men relieving themselves on the side of the road, the side of the sidewalk and most any place else is very common and not against the law here - unfortunately. As Michelle and I are walking back to the car there is just such a man doing what they do just outside her door. Of course I am laughing already b/c I am driving and she can't get in b/c he is there. So she is waiting at the back of the car trying to be nonchalant when he finishes and comes around the car. All he can say when he sees her is "when you gotta go, you gotta go". Michelle motions for me to move up as she doesn't want to enter the car at quite that point in the road. Can't say I blame her. We have a nice little laugh over that. Ok so we are going back to SIM to get the new paperwork and then whip around and hurry back to immigration before it closes. Finally, the lady gives us the stamp of approval and we are able to complete the rest of the process ...for today. I wonder if she was as sick of seeing us as we were of her:) Anyway, hopefully the visas will be ready on Friday as scheduled and we can get them to our partners/teammates coming from Malawi and Congo next week. Really and truly we praise the Lord for helping us through this process b/c it wasn't easy.

There were two things I enjoyed about today - well three. One was the driving. Yes, I really like it now and am trying to be as Ghanaian as possible when doing it:) Second - was the time spent with Michelle. Even though much of what we did was frustrating we still had a good time together and got several other things accomplished. Thirdly - I had some time to talk with Auntie Ruby who has lived in Ghana for I think over 30 years. Isn't that incredible?? In the few minutes we had she was really understanding and encouraging to me about the culture stress I am experiencing and that yes life in Ghana is hard. This is from a woman who really knows. I am understanding more why I am tired. It isn't just the heat and the running around to get almost anything done. A large part of it is the mental work. I am seeing more and more that my natural thought progression in a given situation is - of course - American and I have to really work to adjust to what is done here. That is the mental strain - and often emotional strain - that goes on. A simple thing like customer service. Now I know we don't expect a lot of that usually from government workers even in the states but I am talking more generally than the episode with immigration today. If I go to a store or office in the states, I expect to get at least most if not all of the employee's attention. And if their attention is distracted, there is usually an apology and attempt to make it right. Here that doesn't happen. Whether at the bank, the store, immigration, the money changing place...people are always stepping in front of you to ask a question or give a paper and the person working with you will answer 3-4 people at once as well as answer the phone. Somehow things almost always end up the right way but it is irritating at first to have all this confusion and not get the worker's attention. Believe it or not that simple situation takes a lot of mental work and prayer to remain calm and adjust to their way of doing things. The strain comes from doing this over and over in many, many different ways and situations.

My awareness of my surroundings is coming in layers. I have noticed this over the last few months. At first I was overwhelmed by the driving and the whole atmosphere of living here but as I have settled into it, I am seeing deeper into the community. Little things like seeing past the first line of houses to notice the church or mosque in my neighborhood. Or the fact that the chickens I see everywhere are hobbled in some form or another so they can't run too far or fly away. Unfortunately this seems to mean they only have one foot or leg so that is a little hard to look at. Or the fact that the men often seem to take a very active - and tender - role in caring for the children. Anyway, it is like the shock of the first layer is wearing off and now I can see underneath it...and then underneath the next layer, etc. Of course having to deal with government officials is a whole different layer but I am being exposed to it little by little and sooner or later the shock will wear off. Just like it did for the driving:) I find this process fascinating and tiring - ok and yes frustrating- but still interesting. Never a dull moment that is for sure.

1 comment:

LoreliC said...

I can totally hear you on this Suzanne! Jeans help us escape for a while...
I appreciate your reflections on here. They're true and they're helpful.
One of the hardest things is to keep the interest. When we start to lose that, we are in danger of losing our compassion, the whole reason we are here. Reading your blog is one way that I maintain an interest in the culture. Thanks for sharing again and again.