“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me”.

Jesus - John 14:21a

“Following hard after Jesus is the heart’s natural response

when it has been captured and has fallen deeply in love with Him”.

-from “Captivating”


Monday, November 12, 2007

Getting change here for purchases is no small thing. If you buy something in the market, at a little road side store or from a hawker, you really need change or small bills. What amazes me is that if the seller doesn't have change, they will talk to friends nearby or other sellers to get the change they need for me. This must go on through out the day, multiple times. I have no idea how they keep it all straight but they do. Additionally, once I am known at a certain store or with a specific seller, if I don't have enough they trust me to bring it next time I come. Even if that is days or a week - no problem. And they remember what I owe them several days later. And it works the other way too. If they owe me, they remember and pay it next time I come to the store. Amazing. There may be a high illiteracy rate in Africa but most people here have an amazing memory for names, faces and money. They can also keep track of counting money while being interrupted - several times. I am seriously impressed. I don't know many people that can keep track of counting out several bills while talking to 2 or 3 other people and not make a mistake!

Today Margaret and I went to the main post office downtown. If we receive a package that is in a box, it goes to this place and we have to go get it. If a package is in a soft envelope they will deliver it the post box. But the drive down is quite a ways and parking there is very challenging. Not only for spaces but simply navigating getting in and out b/c there is little room to maneuver and little rhyme or reason to how each car parks. But we get a spot and go in. You go to one window with your slip. Then to another window to open the box and see the contents. Here the agent determines that what is in the box is acceptable and also how much you have to pay duty for the contents. That apparently is a bit ambiguous but fortunately Margaret's gift was small and the cost was minimal. So you take this receipt, leave your package on the counter there for all the world to see and go to a third window to pay. Come back to the customs agent with your paid receipt, pick up your package and go. As I stood there I was conflicted inside as I kept thinking there is a better way (or ways) to do this. But this is so easy to do in a new culture - disregard their way and assume my culture's way is better or best. To me it would seem logical to have the windows you need to proceed through be in a line and everyone follows the same order but I don't know the particulars of why things are set up the way that they are. There may be a very good reason. So as the thoughts crossed my mind, I tried to set them aside and not assume that the American way is the best way. For Ghanaians - this way works just fine!

No comments: