“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me”.

Jesus - John 14:21a

“Following hard after Jesus is the heart’s natural response

when it has been captured and has fallen deeply in love with Him”.

-from “Captivating”


Friday, November 23, 2007

Turkey Day and Birthday Presents

Yesterday we celebrated Thanksgiving like those in America with a turkey and all the fixin's. It was so good. My parents carried a turkey over on the airplane and it was absolutely delicious. Michelle and Eva cooked it perfectly and even today we enjoyed a turkey sandwich for lunch. I have many, many things to be thankful for and having my parents here to celebrate with me and friends was just wonderful. But life here went on as usual. Of course Thanksgiving is strictly an American holiday. As a matter of fact, I was late getting to help Michelle with the dinner b/c Kofi came to finish some work that he had started the day before. Just a regular work day in Ghana. Today doesn't even feel like the day after Thanksgiving b/c no one is up at the crack of dawn waiting in line at a favorite store to get the best deals. Just a regular day:) But since I am not much of a shopper, it is ok with me. Today if I was back in the states, my mom and I would be putting up Christmas decorations. We aren't doing that here but I do miss the tradition that she and I have. We did enjoy listening to Amy Grant belt out "Tennessee Christmas" this morning though.

Today Lee came back from our "regular" post office with a package for me. It was from one of my dearest friends, Brenda. Please don't tell her that I already opened it:) In my defense it didn't say "do not open until ..."). It is my first birthday present. Two weeks early and I loved getting it. I was surprised though that Lee brought it b/c he only went to our regular, close by post office and not the main post office that is way downtown. Apparently if a package comes in a soft, padded envelope it goes to our post office but if it is in a box it goes to the one downtown. Good knowledge to have. This birthday will be the first one celebrated in Africa since 1979! My roommate is planning some kind of shindig. Can't wait to see what she comes up with b/c she LOVES parties.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzanne! So glad your parents made it there safely!
We seem to have discovered this unwritten rule, that if a package can fit through the tellers window (flat-ish), then it will come to your "regular" mail box. Otherwise, you have to battle with Accra Central or Accra North. We send our friends to send us flat things if they love us. ;)
I've enjoyed catching up with you on you blog. I'll be seeing you at your place soon!
*Loreli*