“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me”.

Jesus - John 14:21a

“Following hard after Jesus is the heart’s natural response

when it has been captured and has fallen deeply in love with Him”.

-from “Captivating”


Saturday, November 24, 2007

My parents and I went to visit the family of a friend of ours from my home church. It was such a wonderful visit. We met Bernice's sister, niece, nephew and mother. Not only did we enjoy meeting them but Auntie Theo gave us some pointers in proper Ghanaian culture. For example, she said the host always offers water as soon as the visitors come. And even if the visitor doesn't want anything to drink or doesn't trust the water, it is polite to take a sip or even pretend to take a sip and then set the glass back down. After the water, then juice, Malta or minerals are offered along with cookies or something small to eat. Again the visitor should take a sip and a bite even if they really don't want it. Apparently it is ok to leave the drink or food - I guess even waste it- but not ok to refuse it. If you refuse someone's offer of water, drink or food, it signifies that you are in a bad temper and have come to quarrel with the host.

I think the mother was a tad shocked that I wasn't married and didn't have children. She told me that she was going to be praying for a husband for me. Actually I believe she said a "Ghanaian husband". It is unusual in this culture to be past 30 and not married and having children. More so than in western cultures. I am definitely past 30 - maybe she thinks I need extra prayer:)

Other than the incredible traffic we went through to get to their section of town, it was a great experience and I hope to see Auntie Theo and her mother again while I am here.

No comments: