“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me”.

Jesus - John 14:21a

“Following hard after Jesus is the heart’s natural response

when it has been captured and has fallen deeply in love with Him”.

-from “Captivating”


Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Blazin' hot

Wow the heat here is unbelievable. I lived in Texas for four years and that was hot but it seems like a cake walk compared to Ghana. Right now the temperature is only 86 degrees but the humidity is almost 90% and so we sweat like no one's business. It feels like 104 degrees according to the weather people. And believe me that is true. Mags and I spent most of the day in the car - with no air conditioning - and we are drained. It gets really hot in the summer in Chicago and of course in Mississippi where Mags is from gets very hot but somehow this is worse. I think it is b/c all the restaurants, stores, grocery stores, etc. in the US are air conditioned so you don't really have to be in the heat all that much unless you want to. As a matter of fact I think I usually freeze in the states b/c the ac is so low. Anyway, point being it is hot here and that heat drains our energy quickly.

But I got to do the driving for the errand running today and I loved it. I still am amazed at how shocked by the driving I was when I got here and now it is one of my favorite things. You can really drive on pretty much any part of the road you want, park facing the wrong way, turn left behind people turning left instead of waiting for them, turn left three at a time, etc. etc. It will be quite the challenge to drive in the states now. Probably will be fairly boring. I hope I don't get a bunch of tickets. One thing here is that when you are waiting to turn left across a busy street you don't wait until there is a safe break to do it. After sitting for about 30 seconds cars will start pushing their way into the street until the traffic has to stop and let them go. Of course then the reverse happens as the main street then has to break the flow of those turning left so they can go. At first it is unbelievably chaotic and daunting but now it is fun. I think I have discovered that there are only two real rules of the road. Don't run red lights and watch the speed limit. Other than that I really think that pretty much anything goes.

How did I get from it being so hot to driving?? I don't know but that is the primary thing of my day today. Driving around trying to get things done while sweating profusely. Whew. I need a nap!

No comments: