“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me”.

Jesus - John 14:21a

“Following hard after Jesus is the heart’s natural response

when it has been captured and has fallen deeply in love with Him”.

-from “Captivating”


Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A few more things I'll miss

I will miss being able to get people's attention by making this "tsss" noise through your teeth. It is kind of like "psst" but without the "p". When I first got here and someone did that to me I thought "how rude" but now I love it. It is how you call a waiter or someone selling something or anyone really or how vendors try to get my attention to buy something. And when you want someone to come you call them with your palm down and move your fingers up and down. Almost like you would do to wave to a small child.

Oh and the head nod. Just today I had to catch a taxi home from down town and as I walked to the busy street I saw a taxi come up that was available. He already saw me - b/c I am white:) - and all I had to do was lift up my head a little - like a chin jerk - so he knew I wanted him to stop. Or I could have just lifted my eyebrows or done both together. Very cool.

And it is neat how when a driver stops - even on a major road - to let pedestrians cross, he will reach his arm out the window and wave it up and down and that tells cars behind him, next to him and in the opposite lanes to all slow down and stop b/c people are crossing. It is a safety thing for the pedestrians. My taxi driver did this today and it reminded me.

It is these little things that are very unique to Ghana that I like. So if I accidentally "tsss" you when I get home, don't be offended. Just a reflex:)

No comments: