“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me”.

Jesus - John 14:21a

“Following hard after Jesus is the heart’s natural response

when it has been captured and has fallen deeply in love with Him”.

-from “Captivating”


Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Interdependence

I am so thankful for the blessing of friends and a flexible schedule. You remember back in Jan. when Mags was so sick with malaria and then a severe back pain - and then I got a terrible flu in the middle of it? It was not a good time. Well when our illnesses overlapped, our friend Erin came and stayed with us and cared for us wonderfully. Now we are returning the favor for her. Unfortunately Erin is very sick right now so Mags and I went and brought her to our house where we can help her as she lives alone. She is so happy to be here and we are very happy to be able to care for her. As we were going to pick her up I mentioned to M that this would be much harder to do in the states with the typical type of job. The flexible schedule and laid back routine definitely have their benefits. I have learned here a new interdependence on my friends, teammates and even strangers. Ghanaians live in a very tight community and really rely on each other for daily work and food. Though it plays out differently, we "visitors" also have to rely on each other for knowledge of how to do things here, where to go and how to behave. Those that have been here longer give their knowledge freely about doctors, hospitals, where to rent chairs, how to get a visa, how to get your driver's license and so on to the new people. Then I (we) in turn help those that are newer with the same type of information and so it goes. It really is a neat thing to watch. Today as I was riding with Mags I saw how the hawkers have a helpful competition. They each have their own basket of things that they have to sell and are competing for those who drive by but at the same time they help each other with change, carrying their baskets, etc. If the "pure water" girl is at my car and I ask her if there is a "phone card" guy around, the girl will call out for him to come to the car for the sale. Even when two or more people are selling the same thing they still help each other in the midst of the competition. I find it amazing. It is truly hard to be independent here. The Ghanaians certainly don't live that way and I haven't been able to either. It has been hard at times (b/c I am American:)) but I also see the beauty in it. I hope I don't forget it when I get home. Helping each other through these rough times of sickness has been a real lesson in how the body of Christ can work. I wonder how it will be when I get back home and the pressure of busyness starts to descend in a way that is different from here. Hmmmm... re-entry to the home culture is no small thing. There is plenty for me to process between now and when I return - and probably more after I return:)

No comments: