“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me”.

Jesus - John 14:21a

“Following hard after Jesus is the heart’s natural response

when it has been captured and has fallen deeply in love with Him”.

-from “Captivating”


Sunday, April 27, 2008

What I'll miss, what I won't miss

Things in Ghana that I will miss (apart from people):

real coke in a glass bottle and bitter lemon
chicken and rice
red red and plantain
palaver sauce and yam
Liberian food from Eva - palm butter, casava leaf and collard greens
relatively easy access to the ocean - specifically Coconut Grove
amazing thunderstorms
the driving - yes it is true!
the relaxed atmosphere and slower pace of life
the significantly decreased pressure to "keep up with the Jones' " in lifestyle or fashion
the little neighborhood stores where I can get last minute things like eggs and baking powder
bright sunshine and blue skies, and palm trees!
baby sheep and goats everywhere
little children waving and smiling and calling me "obroni" - sometimes:)
mangos and pineapple like you have never tasted before
simplicity of life
seeing people's faces light up when I talk with them - however poorly - in Twi
incredible landscapes - mountains, rain forests, waterfalls, and did I mention the ocean:)
buying local clothes and bags and jewelry for insanely low prices
going to the little shopping area where my favorite artists and Amanda have their shops
bargaining for things (sometimes)
how creative Ghanaians are
being part of the Africa Cup of Nations and their national pride here
seeing how the men hold and care for their young children


Things I won't miss:

frequent power outages and internet interruptions
not being able to drink water from the tap
really, really bad roads and very few street lights
being called "obroni" (sometimes) and being stared at almost all the time
really loud music in the middle of the night
trying to sleep in heat and humidity without AC or fans
sweating on a regular basis - I mean dripping with sweat just standing or sitting even in the house - it is very pretty:)
occasional very bad smells in the neighborhood
stomach problems!
feeling very visible and vulnerable
bargaining for things (sometimes)
how quickly things fall apart

Ghanaians I will definitely miss:

Amanda - she owns a dress and jewelry shop and is wonderful. She can make almost anything and is incredibly sweet. She really is more like a friend than any other Ghanaian I know here.

Ama - my tutor for awhile and friend

Yaw - my favorite artist who always gives me a good price and a smile

Joseph, our gardener and Sunday night guard - a very kind hearted man who goes out of his way to care for the yard, house and the three of us girls. He has a wonderful wife and two adorable children. I will miss his ready smile and kind heart.

Kwesi - our regular night guard. He is an older man and probably sleeps most of the time but he is really kind and very protective of us. He is always laughing.

The taxi stand guys - they gave me a fixed price to the office and whenever we pass each other on the road or at the taxi stand, they call out and wave. Nice guys. It is fun to see a familiar face when out and about.


So you can see despite the challenges of adjusting and the increasing desire and conviction that it is time to go home, there have been many wonderful things about living here. Of course I didn't even mention above my roommates or Lee and Michelle or many others I have gotten to know and enjoy here. God has blessed me richly during this time and I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to have lived in Ghana for a year. I pray that lessons learned this past year will impact me for life and will be of use in whatever the Lord has for me down the road.

1 comment:

Here, There, Elsewhere... and more said...

Hi,
Sounds like the experience was positive overall - a lifetime later and I still miss the people and the laid back life we had..:)