“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me”.

Jesus - John 14:21a

“Following hard after Jesus is the heart’s natural response

when it has been captured and has fallen deeply in love with Him”.

-from “Captivating”


Friday, December 7, 2007

Today is my birthday

Yes, today is the big day. Dec. 7th. Me and Pearl Harbor - although many years apart:) I am taking a few minutes in the quiet of the morning before everyone who slept over is up to think back on the last year. What a year it has been. Full of changes and surprises and struggles. One thing that has never changed is the presence of the Lord and I am so grateful for that. In Jan. 2007 I received the wonderful news that God had provided enough support to date that I could schedule my training at MTI - the last step before actually leaving for the mission field. I still remember receiving the phone call at work - Christ Church Lake Forest - and running down the long corridor yelling "I'm going to Africa, I'm going to Africa". Being the good people they are there, everyone cheered and jumped up and down with me. It was at that moment that life changed and was shoved into high gear. Winding up my projects at work, shopping and packing, going to MTI in Colorado for 5 weeks, saying good byes, and finally on May 19th boarding the plane for Ghana. And here I am almost 7 months later. I won't rehash all the details of these things but God so clearly has moved in my life and led me here. I tear up and am in awe of Him every time I think back. Three years ago there was great tragedy in my life and now I am living in Ghana and He has given me beauty for ashes, the oil of gladness for mourning and a mantle of praise instead of a spirit of fainting (taken from Is. 61). What a wonderful God He is. A special person wrote in an email to me recently these words..."God is rejoicing in your birthday and reflecting back on how he knit you together for his purposes. He is pleased with his workmanship!" I love how that is phrased b/c it is truly His knitting me together and His workmanship. Nothing of my own. And it is all done for His purposes and to His glory. I am so thankful to the Lord who never gives up on His children, who's mercies never cease and who is always with us no matter where we are. This morning the words in Lamentations are especially precious. Read them carefully. Let them sink into your heart and remember that the Lord is good and faithful. He is the reason for my hope and joy.


Lamentations 3:21-23

"This I recall to my mind, therefore I have hope.

The Lord's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail.

They are new every morning; Great is Thy faithfulness."

No comments: