“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me”.

Jesus - John 14:21a

“Following hard after Jesus is the heart’s natural response

when it has been captured and has fallen deeply in love with Him”.

-from “Captivating”


Saturday, June 21, 2008

Another good good-bye with a great twist

Today I spent the day with Sherri and Jeremy at the pool. It was a perfectly beautiful day with bright blue skies, seriously hot sun and fluffy white clouds. The pool was crystal clear and so refreshing. Just wonderful. Sherri leaves for her 9 month furlough on Monday so this was our last time together...in Ghana...as far as we know. I will hopefully see her in the US as she lives in Wisconsin and will be in Chicago often. I have noticed that the fact that I am returning home and will see Margaret and most likely Sherri when I am there has significantly lessened the pain of saying good-bye. Not really surprising, is it? Anyway, it was a very nice day spent with friends and I am grateful for it.

What is the twist??? Well.... about 2-3 hours after we had been at the pool (which is at a hotel) there is a little ruckus and a bunch of rather fit Ghanaian men enter the pool area. I am looking at their shorts that have numbers on them and thinking "I believe these are the Black Stars". Which really isn't that profound of a thought as Sherri had mentioned that they were out in front of the hotel when she got there about 30 minutes before I did. I am still not 100% sure until I see Michael Essien, number 8, come in and then of course there is no doubt. Michael Essien is the most well known Black Star - other than Steven Appiah. Did I carry myself in a dignified, grown-up way?? Uh... NO! I sat there staring and saying "that's Michael Essien, that's Michael Essien!" I think I was slightly more reserved today than I was back in 1986 or so when I was at the Chicago Bear's training camp and got my picture taken with most of the 1985 Superbowl team - but probably not by much. It was really great. There were a few young kids around that they gave autographs to and took pictures with and in general they were just relaxed and enjoying the pool. And as you will see below Sherri and I also got our pictures taken with a few of them. Jeremy was kind enough to play photographer and didn't even seem embarrassed by the two adult groupies he was with. Overall it was a neat experience. I enjoyed talking briefly with Quincy Owusu-Abeyie, number 20, who was my favorite player during the Africa Cup of Nations back in Jan/Feb. He was so fast and determined. I was very impressed with him on the field - he seemed to be everywhere. Anyway, the Black Stars have assembled in Ghana to play against Gabon tomorrow evening in a World Cup qualifier game. Most of the players live in Europe and play on the club teams - like Manchester United or Chelsea - so they have to come back together to play for their national team. Those of you who live in the US and don't follow football could care less right now but indulge me in my childish enthusiasm.:) So needless to say this was a unique and fantastic experience. I was slightly horrible in calling Lee and rubbing it in just a bit but he was pretty excited for Sherri and me.

There are a few pictures below and a few more on the link in the left column. Thanks for indulging me!!

No comments: