“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me”.

Jesus - John 14:21a

“Following hard after Jesus is the heart’s natural response

when it has been captured and has fallen deeply in love with Him”.

-from “Captivating”


Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A good good-bye with Mags

I have been wanting to write about what Mags and I did our last couple of days together here but I have been having multiple computer issues so it has taken me a bit of time to get to it. I even have pictures to show you but they will have to wait. (they are on now just below this post). It was nice to have the opportunity to spend some time with mags before she left. On Tuesday we just ran some last minute errands for her that primarily involved shopping. We have frequently run errands together over the last year so it was good. Then we decided at the last minute to go to a big tourist thing here in Accra that neither of us had been to yet. It is the Kwame Nkrumah mausoleum in down town Accra right on the ocean. I have passed it several times but had not gone in. It is a really beautiful place. As we went through the museum part I learned several things about Ghana's history and Kwame Nkrumah. In 1957 Ghana gained their independence from colonial British rule and Kwame Nkrumah became the Prime Minister from 1957 to 1960. In 1960 he was elected the nation's first President and he served until 1966 when he was ousted in a coup. In the museum there were many pictures of President Nkrumah with heads of state from all over the world. It was very impressive. Three specific things surprised me that I learned there. The first is that shortly after he came to power he married a lady from Egypt. The second is that after he was ousted in the coup d'etat he became co-president of Guinea with Sekou Toure. And finally I was really surprised to see a photo of Fidel Castro of Cuba at Kwame Nkrumah's funeral. I don't know all the details behind these things but the museum was very interesting. If you ever make it to Ghana I highly recommend going. Both Kwame Nkrumah and his wife, Fattiah, are buried in the mausoleum (so I am told).

Mags and I also got to "cash" in our massage gift certificates that a friend had arranged for us at Christmas. That was very nice! And then we got pedicures. This is a must before leaving Ghana b/c they are only about $8 for the full treatment that would cost around $25 in the states. Finally she spent the evening at the house with Eva, Sherri and myself. Overall it was a very good good-bye and I am so glad for the time to do some things together before she left. Often good-byes are hurried and regrets come of what should have been said and done. This is one time where I don't have regrets and it is really nice. I hope over the next few weeks that this same type of thing will happen with others that I am saying good-bye to. I plan to make a point of it with those that I am closest to.

(see below for some pictures of these couple of days and there are a few more if you go to the link on the left).

No comments: