“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me”.

Jesus - John 14:21a

“Following hard after Jesus is the heart’s natural response

when it has been captured and has fallen deeply in love with Him”.

-from “Captivating”


Sunday, June 29, 2008

I am sure many of you can see by now that most of my thinking and writing comes in the morning. I just wake up with thoughts flowing through my mind. Probably too tired in the evening to put a coherent sentence together.

Yesterday Michelle and I went to the pool together at a near-by hotel. No kids, no visitors, just me and her. Very nice and relaxing. I will miss being able to pay a day rate to go to these nice hotel pools and hang out for the day. It has become something special to me and usually I find it very relaxing. Yesterday most of our time there was relaxing until this young Ghanaian man came in and caused a ruckus. Apparently the day rate had gone up one cedi since the last time he had been at this pool and he didn't know it. So he comes in and the female attendant is busy with someone else but instead of waiting his turn, he plops down the amount he used to pay and just heads on in. Well one of the male attendants comes running after him and in an incredibly loud voice tells the guy - I'll call him Mr. Joe Cool as he thought he was - that he owes a cedi. Now typically in American culture this would have been handled quietly and discreetly to not disturb the other patrons or embarrass Mr. Joe Cool. But we are in Ghana and most things are discussed at a very high volume - and this was no exception. Mr. Joe Cool and the attendant begin and carry on a loud, raging verbal battle about 20 feet from me and Michelle...for about 20 minutes. No joke. Even after the attendant walks away, Mr. Joe Cool continues defending his rather inflated ego by retelling the story to anyone who walks by and will listen..or even won't listen. All about saving face. It finally comes down to the point that Mr. Cool has to pay the extra cedi or leave. He doesn't appear to have the cedi and continues ranting even though it is abundantly clear to all that he is in the wrong. I was just about to stand up - in my direct American way- and offer him two cedis if he would just shut up and swim. But he decided to leave. Ah, peace and quiet again. And only Michelle heard my brilliant offer. Surprise, surprise, after causing all this trouble and such a scene, Mr. Cool comes back, pays his cedi and starts swimming. Fortunately he did all this with his mouth closed and I for one appreciated that greatly. I must say I was mildly impressed that he had the gumption to come back after all that went on.

On the flip side, as I was people watching like I like to do, I saw this beautiful family scene. A Ghanaian man, his European wife and their two children. It was precious to see them swimming together, sitting on the swing eating ice cream and just in general watching the man be so tender and affectionate with the little boys. I have noticed it repeatedly while being here that Ghanaian men are quite involved with their young children and seem to be gentle with them. Every time I see it I am impressed and touched. I don't remember men doing that in Liberia and honestly even in the states as much as here. There seems to be a real involvement and protection over the children. It is most evident to me when I watch my gardener, Joseph, with his little boy and girl. Sometimes Aisha will come with him to work and he feeds her and watches her while still doing what he needs to do until she falls asleep on the porch. Or I will go by his bicycle stand and see him watching both children while his wife goes to visit or shop or whatever. If little Michael runs in the street or starts grabbing Joseph's tools, he just calmly redirects him. I don't recall seeing anyone really beating their children here like I remember happening in Liberia. Anyway...I wish I had had my camera with me yesterday b/c I would have loved to have taken some pictures of this family. Last week I had my camera b/c I anticipated taking pictures of me and Sherri but ended up mostly taking pictures of the Black Stars:) Regardless, the pictures of these scenes are in my mind.

No comments: